Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Terrain Update: Construction sites still present in war ravaged Cities of Death (CoD)

Continuing with my diabolical application of aerosols, I’ve attempted to basecoat and highlight the buildings I based last fortnight.  Turns out the colours I chose for the basecoat and the highlight were too close together shade-wise so the highlight is extremely difficult to see.  No matter, by giving both buildings a heavy drybrush of Codex Grey followed by Fortress Grey before applying a generous wash of Badab Black and Devlan Mud, I can get the highlight and shading necessary to make the buildings look quite good.  While doing this I’ve become acutely aware of the sheer amount of detail that can be found on the CoD buildings (legions of builders must have gone insane chiselling away all those skulls) and decided that if I ever wanted to have this building completed; I would need to find someone who can paint much faster than I.  To this end I passed the torch onto my local gaming group’s speed painter Starkey to handle all those little details (so many skulls and spikes!).  True to his reputation, his work was completed in a single night, and the results of his efforts are stunning indeed. 






If the CoD building was not enough, I spent some time this week getting the Command Bunker I built earlier this year (or was it last year?) painted and ready for the tabletop.  Using the same methods as the building above, I washed the surfaces with both Badab Black and Devlan Mud, after giving all the detailed surfaces a coat of Boltgun Metal and highlighted with Chainmail.  The resulting effect has a very dirty, gritty feel that I think will fit right in with my Cityfight board.







Finally, while I was doing the bases for the buildings, I spent a bit of time working on the crashed Speeder.  As there is precious little concrete / rock present on the miniature, I thought it best to paint it by hand, rather than risk obscuring the details.  On the whole, I think the piece came out just fine and now I have a terrain piece that is very thematic that can double as an objective if the need arise. 






Hope you like the buildings.  As always C&C is very welcome, as are any ideas for terrain projects that you might have.  I’m always looking for new ideas for terrain, especially if it’s Empire and / or Chaos related (bonus points if there is a tutorial online ;-p).  That said, I’m not about to turn anything away so give me everything you’ve got!

Catch you later

Trev

No comments:

Post a Comment