Search This Blog

Monday, March 19, 2012

It’s not easy being Green... (pt 1)



For many years now, I’ve been periodically stripping and re-painting metal models that I have in my collection.  Considering the ever increasing cost in miniatures, particularly from Games Workshop, such a move would be seen as a good idea.  However with the majority of my collection now made of plastic, the process of dunking your models in nail polish remover and leaving them to soak for a couple of days is not longer a viable option.  That is, unless you’re looking to paint a mushy glob of plastic that used to resemble a space marine...

 
Looking on all the forums, you will no doubt find people asking the same question:  How do I strip plastic models?  The usual answer to this question is ‘Simple Green’, which from a U.S perspective is a sound enough answer as it is readily available from a variety of stores.  For us Aussies, it’s a little more complicated; as Simple Green is not as readily available (actually in my experience until recently it has been downright difficult to get your hands on it).  Mark over at Project Circle suggested that Dettol (a disinfectant) may be capable of stripping plastics and being a very curious person, I thought why not put the theory to the test?


 Meet Brother Sergeant Handsome Bob.  Handsome Bob has been a valued member of my Salamanders Army since their initial founding when I was just a young tyke living in Brisbane almost 7 years ago now.  As you can see, my painting skills have developed quite significantly since then (at least I hope you can....) and he has volunteered to undergo the procedure with the aim of being made beautiful again.  Just call me Dr Hauser: Plastic Surgeon to the Adeptes Astartes.  Handsome Bob is going to be immersed in a bottle of Dettol for a couple of days so we can see just how effective it is as a paint-stripper; but progress shots will have to wait until the next article!

On the upside, I have a WIP picture to show you.  I’ve been working on getting my Hunters painted for my Mordheim Warband and the progress has been going well as you can see below. 



Catch you all later

Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment