Search This Blog

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Terrain....Thursday??? - It's Snow-Time!!


Last week I received my order of fine snow flock from the fine people over at Woodland Scenics and I couldn't resist trying it out immediately.  Unfortunately this has meant that my current rubble project has been sidelined for the moment, but it's only a small delay.  On the upside however, I'm another step closer to having a completed terrain-piece to grace my (as yet unpainted) snow table.



Epic Snow Coverage 101
Using a method of snow application I've used successfully in the past (the age-old glue-dip-glue technique), I quickly discovered this was not the most efficient method as it resulted in uneven coverage due to the effect gravity has on watery PVA glue infused snow-flock. To make a long story short, the flock was pulled away from the centre resulting in a patchy look that I wasn't really happy with at all. Changing tactics, I used a method pioneered in this area by a mate of mine (thanks Master Nathan!) using a combination of PVA, white paint, a bit of water and the all-important snow-flock to create a snowy paste that was then layered on using ice-cream sticks and the occasional skewer.  As can be seen in the pictures above, the results are much more impressive.








With the Big House well on the way to being finished, I'm looking forward to using a similar process on the second building.  Once the flocking has been completed I'll be returning to the rubble project, hopefully getting it done by the end of the month.

Catch you all later,

Trev

No comments:

Post a Comment